Thursday, October 4, 2007

On a Classical Note


Tonight Esa-Pekka Salonen, conducted his last premier with the Los Angeles philharmonic. Now, I tend not to be a classical guy but when you are handed free tickets that usually cost over 1,000 dollars you're likely to except. And I have to say I'm glad I did. It is an awe inspiring sight to see, and hear, that many great musicians playing together, strumming away at violins, clashing symbols, and blowing French horns to create one single piece of music. This is Esa-Pekka's last year with the LA Phil so I incourage you to go see him before he departs.
Accompanying the Phil tonight was soprano Renee Fleming who came on with a dress I almost laughed at. It was decorated with scaly looking fabric that gave me of a mermaid. But, never the less, she certainly did a fair job including the bit when she asked everyone to sing "I Could have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady. The whole audience seemed to know the song and sang out with her. This reminded me, slightly, when everyone claps at a rock concert. (Don't try that at the opera though, you will be frowned upon.)

Berlioz - "Love Scene" from Romeo and Juliet

Ravel - sheherazade
Asie
La flute enchantee
L'indifferent
Ms. Fleming

Boccherini/Berio - Ritirata notturna di Madrid

Puccini - "O mio babbino caro"from Gianni Schicchi
"Vissi d'arte"from Tosca
Ms. Fleming

Berlioz - "Ball Scene" from Romeo and Juliet

No comments:

Post a Comment