Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Blitzen Trapper


When I first heard "Furr" I thought of Dylan (harmonica sealed the deal), and when I heard "Black River Killer" I thought of Tom Petty. I have to say though that the vibes don't stop there. I keep hearing the influence of different rock and folk legends every time I listen to Blitzen Trapper, and I find it pretty funny when I read that their previous album, Wild Mountain Nation, is heavily compared with Pavement. Frankly these guys just can't lose. Though these influences are recognizable, Blitzen Trapper is not just rehashing the same sounds of a previous generation (like Dr. Dog's Fate). No, these hardy Portlanders have their own story to tell. I compare them to Dylan only due to their lyrical beauty, which offers much to dissect after the first listen. Their sound is fertile with that down to earth feeling that northwesterners can inspire.

Download:
Blitzen Trapper - Furr
Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer
Blitzen Trapper - Gold For Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment